Monday, October 14, 2013

Autumn Roasted Vegetable and Sausage Pasta

I have decided to start a blog with some of my favorite recipes. I have been thinking about writing one for a long time, and I thought, might as well just do it! I wanted to share one of my favorite fall recipes. It is so delicious, I am making it tonight for dinner. Plus, I thought if I posted it, and then pinned my post on pinterest, I won't be able to lose my recipe anymore!




So basically, you just cut up a whole bunch of veggies: cherry tomatoes, carrots, green peppers, onions, garlic (I used my electric mandolin slicer) and then stir in chicken or turkey sausage, cut into chunks. You coat the whole thing with herbs (it calls for dried, but I had fresh, so I used those) and olive oil.


After you get that all mixed up, bake it at 300 degrees for 40 minutes. Then serve over spaghetti. The original recipe doesn't call for any pasta sauce, but we like to put it on, and then serve with parmesan and pine nuts. So yummy! One of our favorite fall dinners!



*Note: I make this a lot in the crockpot as well. Just cook the veggies and sausage for 8 hours or so on low. Then I whip up the pasta when I get home from work and serve it up. When you make it in the oven, the carrots come out a little crunchy. So I decided to boil them first this time, before putting them in the oven to roast with the other veggies. We are not really fans of crunchy carrots. But if you like your carrots a little crunchier, just bake them with everything else. In the crock pot, of course, they come out nice and soft.







Autumn roasted Veggie and Sausage Pasta:
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
4 cloves of garlic, sliced or minced
2 green bell peppers, cored and sliced into strips or rings
1 large red onion, chopped roughly
(the recipe calls for 8 oz of sliced mushrooms too, but my husband detests mushrooms, so we always leave them out...you can put some in if you like)
4 large carrots, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
12 oz. cooked Italian chicken or turkey sausage, cut into small chunks
3 T. olive oil
1 t. dried oregano (or use fresh if you have any)
1 t. dried basil
(I also added in some fresh parsley and rosemary, because I had some on hand)
Salt and pepper
1 pound of spaghetti
Parmesan
1/4 c. pine nuts
Pasta sauce (optional)
Mix up veggies and sausage in large pan (I used a 9x13) or a crock pot. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle herbs. Stir to coat. Roast at 300 degrees for 40 minutes (or 8 hours on low in a crockpot). Cook the spaghetti according to package directions. Serve veggies and sausage over spaghetti. Top with sauce, if desired, pine nuts, and parmesan. Enjoy!

*Thanks to my friend Randee from down the street for this recipe, that she clipped from the newspaper a long time ago :)





No comments:

Post a Comment