Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Persimmon Walnut Bread


What to do with persimmons???....I got 6 or 7 persimmons in my bountiful basket this week. I had no idea what to do with them! I had never even seen them before, and had to ask what they were! I went looking on pinterest, and found an idea I liked, Persimmon Walnut Bread. It was written by a lady from Sydney, so all the measurements were metric, the oven temperature was in Centigrade, and it called for persimmon pulp, which I didn't know how to make. I decided to try it anyway. I have converted my measurements below so those from the US will know how much of everything they need. Now I know how to make persimmon pulp! I have demonstrated below. If you want to see the original recipe, it is at: http://scandifoodie.blogspot.com/2011/07/persimmon-and-walnut-bread.html

So, first of all, persimmon pulp is fairly easy to make. I looked up some different methods of extracting persimmon pulp, and then I combined them and made up my own way. Basically you have to get out the pulp, which is everything except the skin and seeds. I decided to blanch the persimmons first, to remove the skin easily (if you don't know what blanching means, it is to put them into a pot of boiling water for about a minute, just enough to loosen the skin.) Then I dumped them into a sink of cold water and peeled them one at a time. As I peeled each, I put it in my wire mesh strainer, which was over a bowl. Then I pushed the pulp through the mesh, leaving the seeds and stringy stuff (kind of like inside a pumpkin) in the strainer. I have a small strainer, so I discarded the seeds between each persimmon.


This was a fairly easy process, and only took about 15 minutes for the entire pulp-extraction process, once I had the water boiled. The seeds are very interesting. They have a soft skin, not hard like most seeds. The skin is kind of translucent.


After that the bread was very easy to make. You mix up with a stand mixer (or a whisk the original recipe said) eggs, sugar, and melted butter. Then combine the dry ingredients (it said to sift them together, but I didn't).


Then you dump the dry ingredients in with the egg mixture and combine. Its very thick at this point.


Then you add the persimmon pulp, vanilla, milk, and walnuts. (The original recipe called for chopped dried apricots also, which I didn't have on hand, so I skipped, but I'm sure that would be delicious also). When it's all combined well, pour into a greased loaf pan. Then you set the loaf pan into a high sided baking dish, and fill with warm water, until it is halfway up the side of the loaf pan.


To be honest, I'm not sure exactly why the pan of water, but I'm thinking maybe it has to do with the loaf baking all the way through. I am going to experiment with banana bread and see if this helps the center of the banana bread get done faster. I always seem to have the outside a little too done by the time the inside gets done. Anyway, I digress...

Then you bake it for 75 minutes at 355 degrees. (The original recipe said 180 degrees centigrade, so I converted that, and came up with 356. My oven only does 5 degree increments, so I was stuck with 355).

It turned out great! Reminded me of zucchini bread. Lots of spices. Very delicious!


I made it for breakfast before school this morning (I'm a teacher), so I had to get up very early, but I did combine the dry ingredients, make the persimmon pulp, and set some of the other things out the night before, so it would be easy to put together this morning. And then I had plenty of time to start this blog post as it was baking :)


This is the recipe:
2 eggs
A scant 1/2 cup of brown sugar (.4 cups, to be exact)
2 T. melted butter
1 1/4 c. flour
2 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground cloves
small pinch of nutmeg (I just did a couple shakes)
2 t. baking soda
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1/4 c. dried apricots (or you can skip them, like me)
1/2 c. milk
1 t. vanilla
1 1/2 c. persimmon pulp (about 6-7 small persimmons)

*Note, the original recipe calls for rapadura sugar, which I have never heard of, but it is brown in color, so I substituted brown sugar.

Preheat oven to 355 degrees. Beat the eggs, brown sugar, and melted butter. Combine flour and spices and mix in with the egg mixture. Add the rest of ingredients and mix to combine well. Pour into greased loaf pan. Set the pan into a deep sided baking dish, and fill with warm water until the water is halfway up the side of the loaf pan. Bake for 75 minutes. Remove loaf pan from pan of water and set on a wire rack to cool. Then dump the bread onto wire rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment