Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Easy Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast with Berries

My little brother turned 30 the other day (Happy Belated Birthday, Tyler!) and so I made him a delicious birthday breakfast of cream cheese stuffed french toast.



It turned out really yummy! This is how I did it:

First, I wanted to make some berry toppings to go on the french toast, so I made one pot of strawberries, and one pot of blackberries. I set each to boil on the stove in a pot of water, then added the sugar once it started boiling.



Then I turned it down to simmer on medium heat, while I started the french toast. I mixed up the eggs, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and milk, for the batter.



Next, I dunked each piece of bread in the batter and flipped it to coat both sides. I cooked it in a pan until it turned nice and brown, then flipped and cooked the other side.



While the toast was cooking, I mixed up softened cream cheese with powdered sugar.



When the toast was all ready, I made sandwiches using 2 pieces of french toast with sweetened cream cheese in the middle. I put it on a cookie sheet to bake for a few minutes.



At this point, the two pans of berries are looking good. I add some corn starch mixed with water to thicken them up a little.



Then I topped off each french toast sandwich with some berries and a little whipped topping. Voila!



Since it was a birthday breakfast, after all, we had to put a candle in it, and sing to him :)



(Bet he is not going to be a fan of this picture posted on my blog...sorry Tyler! Love you!!!!)

The whole project just took about 45 minutes. Not too bad for a delicious, fancy breakfast :)

Here is the recipe:
Topping:
2 C strawberries
2 C blackberries
1 C sugar
4 C water
2 T cornstarch
2 T water

Batter:
6 eggs
1/2 c. milk
1 T. vanilla
3 T. sugar
2 t. cinnamon

Filling:
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 c. powdered sugar

12 slices of bread
Whipped cream, for garnish
powdered sugar, for garnish

Boil berries each with 2 cups of water in 2 separate pots. Bring to boil. Add 1/2 c. sugar to each. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally.

Preheat oven to 350. Mix up batter in a bowl, beating with a fork. Dip each piece of bread in the batter, turn to coat both sides. Brown on a griddle or in a frying pan, on both sides over medium heat. While bread is cooking, heat 8 oz of cream cheese in microwave for about 1 minute, until very soft. Mix with 1/2 c. powdered sugar until well blended. Make sandwiches of 2 pieces of french toast with cream cheese in between. Place sandwiches on cookie sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes (or as long as it takes you to finish the berries). :)

Stir 2 T. cornstarch into 2 T. water in a small bowl until dissolved. Pour half into each pan of berries. Cook on medium for 2-3 minutes, until thickened.

Remove sandwiches from oven. Top each with berries, whipped cream, and a sprinkling of powdered sugar, for garnish. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment